Monday, September 21, 2009

The Machine Controls Us

Our minds are saturated by various technologies that can mold the way we think, behave, and interact with people. From cell phones, netbooks, to the internet, all of these technologies can be a possible medium for disaster if a message is interpreted the wrong way.

One such technology whose messages can be easily misunderstood is the use of text messaging on cell phones. McLuhan (2001) wrote “it is the medium that shapes and controls the scale and form of human association and action” (p. 9). Because a cell phone offers its user 160 characters per text message, the user has to be creative when typing a message. Words that are used on a consistent basis are shortened to make full use of each character; words like ‘by the way’ or ‘talk to you later’ are shorten to BTW and TTYL. Although most avid cell phone users are familiar with these abbreviations, there are those who are not. For those who are not familiar with text lingo, a text message can be easily misinterpreted. This can turn a harmless text message into a hurtful insult. It’s in this instance the cell phone acts as a medium between the sender and the receiver, therefore creating an opportunity for the message to be misunderstood.

A good example of discrepancies found in a text message is a situation that happened to me not to long ago. I was out to lunch with my father, brother, and step mother. I received a text message from a friend inquiring on my whereabouts. I told her I was out; however, she decided to further probe me for answers. Of course she accomplished her goal and I texted her what I would be doing. The message I sent her read:

“I’m out with brother then driving him to Trenton.”

However, what she received read:

“I’m out gfjkhlkkfkgjf"

My friend assumed I wrote ‘I’m out’ followed by the several unreadable characters just to be a jerk. However, I had no idea the message I sent her appeared in that font. When I saw her the next day she was very upset because of the text message I sent her. I quickly showed her the original text message from my phone which immediately defused the situation.

Text messaging is a valuable feature on a cell phone. However, using text messaging as a medium to communicate with others might not be the best way to make use of a cell phone’s technology. I would suggest if you really need to send an important message to someone CALL THEM. This way no one can misinterpret your message.

By Robert Sudak

References

McLuhan, M. (2001). Understanding Media: The Extensions of Man. London: Routledge .

No comments:

Post a Comment