Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Canadian 'Hockey' Culture

Often hockey is portrayed as something Canadians are (seemingly) born into, and participate in instinctively. The saying, “The Pond is where the heart is” has been very familiar to me and has been an imperative passage throughout my upbringing. Hockey has been a part of my life for 13 years now. Not only am I a die-hard leaf’s fan and love to cheer for Team Canada, but I also play for the women’s varsity hockey team here at UOIT. I literally live, eat, sleep and breathe hockey. The house that I live in with three other teammates is a five minute walk from the rink, I eat specific meals according to my schedule (what would provide the most amount of sufficient energy), I have one of the most messed up sleeping schedules because of our 6am practices, and I spend at least 40 hours a week breathing in crisp hockey-rink air. I know that I am one of many who participate in this crazy and hectic life style.

The game of hockey has taught me to recognize which values I find vital to exemplify throughout my life. I have learnt that the values respected in hockey — teamwork, resourcefulness, tenacity, modesty and triumph — are the principles Canadians try to uphold on the world stage, and as individuals. The game transfers over to our day-to-day lives without us even realizing it. The Canadian emblem is a maple leaf which embellishes all team Canada hockey jerseys. Two major chains selling our favorite food, donuts, were started by historical hockey superstars Tim Horton and Eddie Shack. Over the past decade, hockey in Canada has become a multicultural game. Many of the newest faces entering the highest levels of both men’s and women’s hockey are Canadians with different ethnicities. All season long, families and friends huddle around their televisions to watch the “national drama” unfold. Although it is unfair to say that every Canadian shares this love for our “national sport”, I do feel that even unconsciously, it has helped us to recognize our shared cultural values and contribute to Canadian tradition.



This video shows how the rest of the world tries to come up with justifications as to why hockey is a Canadian game. It also demonstrates how competitive we are and how we would do just about anything to stay on top. It illustrates how we have created a sense of cultural identity with the game by having “ice in our blood” and by having an “extra hockey chromosome in our DNA.” Canadian hockey culture to me is not only a part of my life, but also a way of life. My name is Jessica, i am a girl, i love the game of hockey, and I AM CANADIAN.

-Jessica Cockburn

No comments:

Post a Comment