Saturday, October 10, 2009

PostSecret Culture

"PostSecret is an ongoing community art project where people mail in their secrets anonymously on one side of a postcard.'

I'm not sure if any of you are aware of the PostSecret books or the PostSecret blog, but the thought crossed my mind a few days ago to discuss how these publications have had a cultural effect on society and the way we communicate in general.

I discovered the PostSecret books about a year ago when my friend was showing me a copy of the book which her mother gave her as a gift. I was fascinated by the secrets, confessions, and art work encapsulated in the book and I was tempted to read more.

Currently, I own three of the books. The more I read the books, the more I am fascinated with the stories contained within them. And then it hit me, the person who compiled these books, Frank Warren, is not only a genius but is conducting what could be described as a culturally unethical phenomena.

Although the secrets contained in the books and in the blog are sent in by readers and secret holders world wide, can we say that it is culturally and ethically acceptable for Frank Warren to profit off of other people's secrets?

I feel the books and the blog have created a culture in themselves which allows secret holders and readers to feel connected to others' sense of fear, misery, joy, confusion and concern.

How do you feel about secrets becoming a domain of public identity? How do you think PostSecret books and the blog have had an effect of what is culturally acceptable in society? Do you think the books and the blog have changed people's idea of secrecy all together?

Check out the PostSecret blog at http://www.postsecret.blogspot.com/ and share your thoughts on PostSecret as a culture.

Taylor Short

2 comments:

  1. You have brought up a good point that these books and blog have created a culture of its own. A similar medium to this would be the fmylife website better known as "FML." People view the various accounts of situations where individuals have been through embarassing and disappointing circumstances almost religiously. Out of this comes reactions of joy or sadness at another's pain. It is also a connection to the human experience, we feel that our experience is not so bad when we see what others are going through on a daily basis.
    -Sammy Kyereme

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did a paper on the anonymous postings in a public domain. Sort of the same thing as post secret. I like this becuase I totally agree with what you are saying. It has created an entire culture through communicating risky, private, anonymous, scandalous messages in a completley secret and unknown way. A public culture that is completely secret. I enjoy reading postsecret a lot!!
    --Mary Laird

    ReplyDelete